Sunday, July 1, 2007

Our First Herb Harvest!



We harvested our herb crop for the first time today!! We started with just five plants: basil, parsley, thyme, oregano and marjoram. These were some of the herbs we use in a lot of our recipes and seemed easy enough to grow and harvest so we thought we'd give them a try. JP and I bought them and planted them sometime shortly after mother's day. Above is how our herbs looked before we cut them and below is what we harvested today. I still need to string them up for drying and buy a few jars for storing.











We also bought tomato plants and a bell pepper plant. We have several flowers on our pepper plant and one lonely little pepper growing. So far our tomato plants are growing nice and tall but still no signs of tomatoes. Here is JP in front of one of the tallest tomato plants. He loves helping me water them and loves squirting mommy with the water hose!















UPDATED::
Well I have been drying my herbs in the oven today-instead of hanging them to dry. I also bought some containers at Wal-mart but when I got home and opened the package I realized there were only 2 containers when there should have been 5. Yes I only paid $3 for the containers but it's the principal-I paid for 5!!! So I'll be taking them back tomorrow and exchanging them. So I will have wait until tomorrow to store the herbs.

The house is full with the different aromas! It's great and so easy! I can't wait to see how fast they grow now that I have cut them back. And I cannot wait to try more next year!

1 comment:

Tyla'sMommy said...

GREAT! I think I should try that next year (or is it not too late this year??) I dont' know anything about growing herbs though. you hang them to dry?