Thursday, January 10, 2008

She's Gonna Blow: Real Help for Mom's Dealing With Anger

Raising a three year old and new baby has strains of it's own. But when that three year old is extremely strong willed it can cause some "mommy blow-ups" like described in this book. I attended a MOPS meeting once that dealt with this subject but at the time my son was less than a year old. So I thought this was something I would never have to deal with, was I ever wrong. For some reason that 3 year old boy can really get under my skin and he loves it. This book really didn't offer me too many remedies that I had not already heard before, but it at least made me feel like I was not alone in the struggle to keep my cool.

Many of my friends and family will tell you how patient I am, but there are times my kids can really wear my patience out in a heart beat. One thing that really drives me crazy is when I am trying to dress my 3 year old. He is getting to the stage he wants to do it himself which will be a big help but most times he just runs around and jumps around while I am trying to get him dressed. Drives me nuts!! So if we are going somewhere that day I try to get him dressed early so I don't have to fight with him right before we leave. On days I know we won't go anywhere I usually just leave him in his pajamas. I've started using time out more than spanking. I believe in spanking-don't get me wrong-but he is to the age that time out works well for the both of us (at times mommy needs a little time out too (-:). He doesn't think time out is fun anymore like he did in months past. I'd ask him if he wanted to go to time out and he'd laugh and say yes and thought it was fun to sit for a few minutes-not anymore.

So if you are a mom struggling with "mommy eruptions" like the ones described in this book, this will be a great book for you to pick up. Remember you are not alone in your struggle. And remember when the kids are pushing your buttons they are blessings and before you know it they will be grown and out of your home. So cherish the good and the bad times.

No comments: